How RoverBook was designed
It's been about a little over a year since RoverBook was first launched. But before the 5e notebook was successfully funded on Kickstarter in just 3 hours and blew past our goal by 1600%, it was just an idea that I couldn't get out of my head.
When I first began designing the RoverBook, I knew that I could not do it alone. I had lots of long-time D&D players trial the notebook and provide feedback. In fact, over 50 people helped in beta testing of RoverBook.
I went in with the goal to create a notebook that was useful, crafted specifically for 5e, with clean and beautiful design. I avoided putting a lot of artwork in the notebook because I wanted RoverBook to be a notebook for ALL campaigns and ALL players. Artwork would require a specific genre and I didn't want to be limited by that.
Naturally, the design process started with the character sheet. My goal was to put the things player's reference most on the very first page.
Little did I know that this page would be the most edited page of the entire notebook. Many tweaks were made in order to make sure that the space was being used in the most efficient and effective way possible. I'd be lying if some of those tweaks were for typos! But I'm most proud of the way I used the Custom Counter to consolidate space and create versatility. It can be used to track anything from spell slots, rages, hit dice, and anything else you can think of.
The next few pages on the character sheet would be for items that needed larger spaces but might be referenced less than things like stat modifiers.
And for our spell casters, I included lots and lots of space for spells!